A Shakeology review from Dr. Oz and Food Babe are leaving people confused of what’s really in Shakeology.
Here’s some new questions about what is in Shakeology:
- Does Shakeology contain lead or heavy metals?
- What kind of whey protein does Shakeology use?
- Does Shakeology contain refined sugar?
- Does Shakeology contain rbGH or rBST?
- Is Shakeology made with GMO ingredients?
- How does Shakeology compare to other protein powders?
All of the questions above raise a health concern and it’s important to really look into each one before making false assumptions about Shakeology. This Shakeology review is here to help you better understand what is in Shakeology…
Shakeology Review: Does Shakeology Contain Lead or Heavy Metals?
Back on June 11,2013, Consumer Labs made a Shakeology review and declared that the Shakeology Greenberry flavor has “lead contamination”, as well as several other protein powders.
To further bring awareness of lead contamination in protein powders, Dr. Oz aired a show about it in 2013, which mentioned the Consumer Labs report.
This Dr. Oz show repeated a few weeks ago and it made mention of the Greenberry Shakeology formula as having lead.
This is a very serious issue because lead can cause several health issues.
But here’s the problem about lead as well… everything grown from the ground has some amount of lead in it!
Here’s the official response from Beachbody about the lead found in the Greenberry Shakeology formula:
Consumer Labs raises a “concern” but unfortunately, while they seek to inform consumers, they may be actually misleading consumers by not distinguishing between harmful heavy metals and those that are naturally occurring in plants, vegetables and minerals (including naturally occurring lead). In fact, it is specifically because Beachbody uses whole-food plant based natural ingredients in products like Shakeology, rather than synthesizing a product in a lab ,that it does include naturally occurring heavy metals along with the countless other benefits nature provides.
Most of the fruits, vegetables and herbs we consume every day, even when organically grown and picked right out of the ground, also contain various levels of naturally occurring lead. It is very important to note that Beachbody never adds any heavy metals to any of its products and that we strictly follow good manufacturing practices to make sure that we are always delivering on our promise to our Coaches and customers in only creating programs and products, including Shakeology and all of our other supplements, which help people lead healthier, more fulfilling lives.
We are aware that Consumer Labs appeared on Dr. Oz today to discuss its report on protein powders. The report was based on a Consumer Labs study in June of 2013 which analyzed a prior version of Greenberry Shakeology. As part of its continuous drive to always improve its products, Beachbody had already updated its Greenberry Shakeology formula prior to Consumer Labs even conducting its study. The current formula greatly improves many of the benefits of Shakeology, and also greatly reduced all of the naturally occurring heavy metals.
Beachbody never has and never would add any heavy metals in creating its supplements. As we have pointed out, lead and other heavy metals that are naturally occurring are found in the earth’s soil, its oceans, rainwater and its air and have been present since the earth was created. A glass of Shakeology has far less lead than a serving of organic spinach or Brussels sprouts, and in fact, you could drink 15 glasses of Shakeology a day and still be under the guidelines established by the FDA and World Health Organization.
The safety of Beachbody’s products and health of our customers are our highest priority and we are extremely proud of Shakeology and how it is helping countless people look and feel better every single day.
To further add to the confusion, several other Shakeology reviews are popping up online and misquoting Beachbody’s official response to misrepresent the quality of Shakeology.
But… does Shakeology contain lead and/or heavy metals?… Yes because it uses actual fruits and vegetables in it’s formula.
Do common vegetables you can buy at the supermarket contain lead? Yup!
Here 2 things to understand about Shakeology and lead:
- Consumer Labs tested a old Greenberry Shakeology formula. The new Greenberry formula contains less lead than before and other more beneficial ingredients.
- Lead and other metals are naturally occur in herbs and vegetables. Since Shakeology is made from whole ingredients from around the world and it’s not processed or heated in order to provide you the best nutrition possible, naturally occurring lead and other metals are inherent in a product like Shakeology.
Shakeology Review: What Kind of Whey Protein Does Shakeology Have?
In another Shakeology review at FoodBabe.com, Food Babe attempted to make a broad review on several protein powders at the cost of facts.
Here’s her famous protein shake review for several popular protein powders, including Shakeology:
Yes, Shakeology contains a whey protein isolate in the non-Vegan Shakeology formulas but FoodBabe does not differentiate the kind of whey protein Shakeology has.
Instead she generalizes and mentions that eating too much over processed whey protein isolate can lead to degenerative diseases.
To set the record straight: Shakeology is created with un-denatured whey protein.This means that it’s not processed under high heat, and it still retains its nutrients.
In fact, Shakeology is made with grade 7 whey protein isolate. The highest quality protein you can possibly get in today’s market.
Additionally, Shakeology’s whey protein isolate is ion-filtered, antiobiotic-free and BST free. And not from grass-fed cows.
If you prefer a non-whey option, Beachbody does offer Vegan Shakeology flavors: Chocolate & Tropical Strawberry.
All Shakeology flavors are GMO Free & Soy Free.
Shakeology Review: Does Shakeology Contain Refined Sugar?
Again, Food Babe quickly looked at the Nutritional Facts of Shakeology and simply saw there was sugar content and assumed it contained refined sugar.
Shakeology has never used any artificial flavors or sweeteners.
In fact, Shakeology took 3 years of research and development to create Vanilla Shakeology because at the time it couldn’t be created without using artificial flavors & sweeteners.
Here’s how Shakeology really gets it’s sweetness from:
- Chocolate Shakeology: Acai Powder, Acerola Cherry, Apple Pectin, Astragalus Root Powder, Bilberry, Blueberry , Camu-Camu, Citrus Bioflavonoids, Lycium/Goji Berry, Pomegranate, Rose Hips, Yacon Root, Lactospore, Flaxseed, Fructose, Whey Protein, Grape Seed, Chocolate, Coconut Flower Nectar, Cocoa Powder, Vitamin A
- Greenberry Shakeology: Acai Powder, Acerola Cherry, Apple Pectin, Astragalus Root Powder, Bilberry, Blueberry , Camu-Camu, Citrus Bioflavonoids, Lycium/Goji Berry, Pomegranate, Rose Hips, Yacon Root, Lactospore, Flaxseed, Fructose, Whey Protein, Stawberry Flavor, Vitamin A
- Tropical Strawberry Shakeology: Acai Powder, Acerola Cherry, Apple Pectin, Astragalus Root Powder, Bilberry, Blueberry , Camu-Camu, Citrus Bioflavonoids, Lycium/Goji Berry, Pomegranate, Rose Hips, Yacon Root, Lactospore, Flaxseed, Coconut Flower Nectar, Strawberry Fruit Powder, Papaya Fruit Powder, Pineapple Powder, Banana Powder, Nat Pineapple Flavor, Natural Strawberry Flavor, Natural Banana Flavor, Beet Juice Powder
- Chocolate Vegan Shakeology: Acai Powder, Acerola Cherry, Apple Pectin, Astragalus Root Powder, Bilberry, Blueberry , Camu-Camu, Citrus Bioflavonoids, Lycium/Goji Berry, Pomegranate, Rose Hips, Yacon Root, Lactospore, Flaxseed, Coconut Flower Nectar, Cocoa powder
- Vanilla Shakeology: Acai Powder, Acerola Cherry, Apple Pectin, Astragalus Root Powder, Bilberry, Blueberry , Camu-Camu, Citrus Bioflavonoids, Lycium/Goji Berry, Pomegranate, Rose Hips, Yacon Root, Lactospore, Flaxseed, Fructose, Whey Protein, Vitamin A.
Does Shakeology contain refined sugar?… No.
Additionally, Is there fructose in Shakeology?
Fructose is a natural sugar found in fruit and some vegetables. The good thing about fructose–as opposed to glucose (table sugar) or high-fructose corn syrup (chemically altered sugar)– is that it is very low on the glycemic index (GI). This means that your body sends it directly to the liver for absorption, which minimizes its impact on insulin and blood sugar levels. The fructose in Shakeology is from non-GMO (not genetically-modified) sources and is processed cleanly in GMP-certified (Good Manufacturing Practice) facilities. It has a low glycemic index and is derived from beets.
This answer is a little dated, however… In 2013, many of the Shakeology flavors got an ingredient update which also spilled over into all new Shakeology flavors.
Now, many of the Shakeology flavors get their sweetness from coconut flower nectar and Luo Han Guo, along with other fruit ingredients (which have natural levels of fructose and glucose, stated earlier).
Shakeology Review: Does Shakeology contain rbGH or rBST?
Food Babe further assumed that Shakeology contains rbGH… Why this assumption? Who knows?
Knowing if a protein shake has rbGH is important because it’s a genetically engineered artificial hormone injected into dairy cows to make them produce more milk.
Although, the FDA approved it as safe, it’s safety is still in question.
Beachbody answered this publicly: Does the dairy or the whey protein used in Shakeology come from cows treated with RBGH or RBST?
Beachbody’s answer was: “To the best of our knowledge, no. The whey protein isolate that is used in Shakeology is the highest commercial grade available.”
Shakeology is a quality-premium shake… It’s NOT about cutting corners as some people may have you believe.
Shakeology Review: Does Shakeology Have GMO Ingredients?
Beachbody is very much against using GMO ingredients.
In fact, when Beachbody first formulated the Vegan Shakeology flavor, they made sure not to use Soy because of how hard it is to find a non-GMO Soy source and also for health reasons.
Here’s Beachbody’s official answer to: “Does Shakeology contain any GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) ingredients?”
While we do not certify Shakeology as non-GMO, special care has been taken to formulate Shakeology to exclude GMO ingredients and we require certifications and statements from the suppliers that the ingredients do not contain GMO materials.
We are evaluating the possibility of certifying the product as non-GMO in the future.
Here’s another related question: Are Beachbody products GMO-Free? If so, why is it not indicated on the labels?
In case you’re wondering, Beachbody does not use any GMO ingredients in anything they produce.
Beachbody is a health & fitness company and your health comes first above all else.
How Does Shakeology Compare to Other Protein Shakes?
While Shakeology has as much protein as a protein shake, it’s not fully a protein shake alone.
Shakeology will keep you feeling full and provide a huge assortment of superfoods that neither a protein shake nor meal replacement shake have to offer.
Plus, it’s not chemically produced in a lab but instead produced with whole food ingredients.
Check out the video below to see why Shakeology is a Premium Health Shake:
Shakeology Review: Final Thoughts
I have nothing against Dr. Oz or Food Babe… They both provide a valuable service in helping people live a more healthy life.
The sad part about having a following like Dr. Oz and Food Babe is that they need to be more careful when stating anything publicly because they then tarnish other people’s good name.
- Dr. Oz focused his Shakeology review on a outdated Consumer Labs report and failed to acknowledge that fruits and vegetables naturally have traces of lead in them.
- Food Babe not only made a Shakeology review but attempted to cover several protein powders at the cost of looking into the facts of each protein powder.
I recommend you look into the facts yourself before listening to 3rd party claims.
- You can always change the flavor or pause your order….
- Plus, if you didn’t enjoy Shakeology there’s no cost to cancel. Simply call Team Beachbody at 1-800-470-7870.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Have a great day!
Work With Me – Leaders Only
ADDITIONAL SHAKEOLOGY RESOURCES
P.S. If you are looking for a way to increase your fitness, nutrition, social, and even occupational wellness, be sure to start with a FREE Team Beachbody Account and you will get support, motivation, and gain access to free tools to keep you on track with your wellness goals.